August 22, 2014

Getting the Pretty Back by Molly Ringwald

 photo 13620876_zpsd9f4355a.jpg
Molly Ringwald's 2010 book, Getting the Pretty Back: Friendships, Family and Finding the Perfect Lipstick, is part beauty book, part autobiography about America's favorite 80's teenager. Ringwald breaks down wardrobe, makeup and fitness tips with anecdotes about growing from perpetual teen to mother and every stage in between.

I think I expected more of an autobiography out of this book, not content so heavy on beauty. Once I was able to view this as a beauty book I became a little more comfortable, but it still didn't sit right with me. With all the emphasis Ringwald gives on loving yourself and choosing your own style, her voice is incredibly pretentious with a focus on expensive products and treatments. Living near Los Angeles I don't think I was too taken aback by her insistence on owning a $300+ Hermes scarf (not that I would buy one), but for the average reader, her suggestions seemed so superficial and ostentatious that I could not relate to her. When she began suggestion acceptable plastic surgery options after talking about inner-beauty, I really lost any attachment I had to Molly Ringwald and saw this as just another bland celebrity non-fiction piece.

What I did enjoy were the cooking tips from her mom and Ringwald's mother (who is a chef), Ringwald's personal favorite lipstick colors (by name and brand), and her development as a mother.
There were enough cute anecdotes sprinkled in with the superficiality that I was able to stomach this book enough to somewhat enjoy it. Because it was only a few hours long (via audio book) and read by the author, that also helped to keep my interest. It wasn't a bad book, but it just didn't really line up with my expectations, especially when it comes to expecting celebrities to influence people in a more positive way.

Bottom Line: Read this is if you're really into fashion and beauty. Or if you're a huge Molly Ringwald fan. I would consider myself average in both instances and, as a result, I thought this book was pretty average in the celebrity book department. 3/5 Hearts.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Thank you so much for reading my blog! If you leave a comment I will try my best to email you back directly and visit your blog, too! If I can't find a way to get back to you, check back for a reply to your comment. Thanks again and happy reading!!