May 30, 2014

Wedding Feng Shui by Laura Lau and Theodora Lau

The presence of Capricorn makes you a more cautious Unified Bride than your sister Boars. You feel safe with choosing the traditional route of things, so you'll look to friends who've been recently married for advice. Those closest to you will be your best resource because the Capricorn Boar doesn't build trust as quickly as purer Boar personalities whose kindness can be taken advantage of.
-from Wedding Feng Shui by Laura Lau and Theodora Lau

 photo 8881603_zps6b369d75.jpg
 This post is in honor of my sister's wedding today!
Congratulations, Taylor and Isaiah!!

Planning a wedding is probably one of the most overwhelming things anyone will ever do in their life. I think the only thing that trumps planning a wedding is building the marriage and raising children, but in terms of planning an event, it's monstrous depending on your tendencies. Considering I have a mandatory guest list just over 200 and don't plan on spending a year's salary on one day, I try to keep away from books that tell you how you "should" or "should not" do things. It's my day and if I want to have a rehearsal dinner at a pizza parlor, then it's my prerogative. A book should not make me feel bad about myself. But when I found Wedding Feng Shui by Laura Lau and Theodora Lau through the library, I decided to give this book a try because I could definitely use some calming feng shui in my life right now!

I don't really believe in horoscopes, at least not in a super natural sense. I think many horoscopes, namely Chinese horoscopes, are interesting and insightful, but I don't alter my life based on any of it. More than anything I looked at this book as a form of encouragement. I was delighted and surprised to read such dead-on descriptions of myself (see excerpt above), my groom and our interactions with each other in regards to the wedding. And because the insight was so close to home, the advice and encouragement was particularly useful to me.

This book has a lot of interesting history about Chinese horoscope and feng shui, Chinese wedding rituals and customs, along with information of each zodiac animal and corresponding zodiac sign. If nothing else, I recommend this book to be used to look up your individual signs to see if you can find encouragement in the guidance for your animal and zodiac sign. While I probably didn't get as much out of this book as was the intention of the authors, I still enjoyed it nonetheless and it gave me a special calm about moving forward as a Unifier Bride.

Bottom Line: A fun book to check out at your local library if you're planning a wedding. It might give you some encouragement based on your zodiac personality or, if nothing else, be fun to see if your sign describes your wedding planning style. 4/5 stars

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Thank you so much for reading my blog! If you leave a comment I will try my best to email you back directly and visit your blog, too! If I can't find a way to get back to you, check back for a reply to your comment. Thanks again and happy reading!!