April 9, 2014

Finding It by Cora Carmack

I wondered if I would ever be able to stop pretending. This was how it started last time. First, you pretend for others, then you pretend for yourself. Then you pretend because everything is a lie, and you have to keep the cycle going.
-from Finding It by Cora Carmack

 photo 16172638_zps5894a752.jpg
The third companion in Cora Carmack's Losing It series, Finding It follows rich party girl Kelsey Summers as she traipses around Europe upon graduating college. Dressed in her uniform of tight jeans and stilettos, armed with her dad's credit cards, and on a mission to lose herself in fun before facing real life, Kelsey still can't seem to fill the void in her heart. When she keeps bumping into hot American Jackson Hunt during her travels, everything begins to change. He challenges her on a week-long adventure where Kelsey learns more about herself and wants to learn more about the mysterious Jackson.

To be honest, I wasn't planning on reading Finding It because I didn't care for the character of Kelsey in the previous books in this series. However, I'm a sucker for finishing a series and knew that if nothing else, Carmack's spunky writing and quick wit would entertain me. I was pleased to discover that Kelsey actually is a likable character underneath the facade she maintains. While this story is overall fairly predictable, what set it apart from other New Adult romance novels is observing Kelsey slowly remove the layers she's built up to protect herself.

Based on the title of the book, I asked myself, "Finding what?" The simple answer in a New Adult romance is love, and while Kelsey is definitely on track to find that, this novel is also about finding a lot more. It's about finding adventure, finding hope, finding independence (emotional and financial) finding your history and, most importantly, finding yourself. Kelsey has a lot more depth than I anticipated and she's not nearly as obnoxious once she starts stripping away her layers.

As with all of her novels, Cora Carmack has a wonderful talent for being laugh-out-loud funny. Her characters each have their own individual voice and Kelsey is by far the sassiest. As I've said, it was fun to watch her grow on me when I expected to be annoyed. This book definitely delivers the pleasantly unexpected.

Bottom Line: A great finale to the Losing It series; Kelsey is fun, sassy and her metamorphosis is much more in-depth than I anticipated. If you enjoy New Adult, this book is a winner. Contains strong sexual content. 4/5 stars.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Thank you so much for reading my blog! If you leave a comment I will try my best to email you back directly and visit your blog, too! If I can't find a way to get back to you, check back for a reply to your comment. Thanks again and happy reading!!