December 18, 2013

Last Minute Book Christmas Gift Ideas

CHRISTMAS IS ONE WEEK AWAY!! Just in case you needed a reminder....! Don't worry, I'm here to help!

Books make a wonderful yet worrisome gift. Wonderful because they can open up a whole new world the reader didn't know existed within the text. But worrisome because everyone is so different and not everyone considers themselves "a reader". That's a topic for a whole other post, but I don't think you should let that deter you from buying people books as Christmas gifts. Instead, think of it as a challenge! Your gift just might be the book that turns them into "a reader"! How amazing would that be?!

On Twitter I started a hashtag #BookGiftIdeas where I've been randomly tweeting who a specific book would appeal to and why. I think it's a great idea for book lovers to rally around the books we love and the authors we want to support, and what better way than promoting the purchases of books? What better time than the holidays?

Today I'm going to give you a break down of some of the books I think would make great Christmas gifts and for whom in case you still have some last minute shopping!

Teens and Young Adults
 photo 3236307_zps52771484.jpg   photo 11235712_zps064dd4df.jpg   photo 438930_zps18c544ec.jpg   photo 10507293_zpsc4c50e08.jpg

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Young Adult) - Recommended for anyone who loves adventure and a little bit of fantasy. Very entertaining with a strong moral compass. I've already bought this one for two people myself and recommend the companion novels just as much! Here's my review!

Cinder by Marissa Meyer (Young Adult) - Recommended for teens and adults who love fairy tales, comic books, and/or futuristic fantasy! Lots of adventure and bound to entertain any level of reader. I literally just finished reading this and Scarlet last week and I cannot stop recommending them both!

Edgewood by Karen McQuestion (Teen/Young Adult) - Recommended for pre-teen and teens, but entertaining enough for adults of all ages. An action-packed science fiction adventure, great for boys and girls who love adventure and comic books. Great to read along with your teens! Here's my review!

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins (Teen/Young Adult) - Recommended for ANY and ALL 16-26 year old girls who have ever had crushes on boys. Seriously. If you have a young adult female who has ever been boy crazy and you're stumped, just buy her this. Here's my review!

Upon the Head of the Goat by Aranka Siegal (Teen/Young Adult) - Recommended for history lovers and those wanting to teach their children about racism and empathy. This novel is based on the author's account of life during WWII leading up to her time in a concentration camp.

The Selection by Kiera Cass (Teen/Young Adult) - Recommended for teen girls who love dystopian and romance. If The Hunger Games was too intense and graphic of a premise, The Selection is a great mushy alternative. Here's my review!

Adults

 photo index_zps9d767954.jpg   photo db16e660-141f-45f7-97af-20265d5426e0_zpsf904fc80.jpg   photo 15991924_zpscd88ec6e.jpg   photo 9972053_zpsd43b6923.jpg

Friends of Mine: Thirty Years in the Life of a Duran Duran Fan by Elisa Lorello (auto-biography) - Recommended for any music fanatics, especially those who love the '80s! However, if you've ever loved a band or musician, you will surely relate to this book. Here's my review!

Love is a Mix Tape by Rob Sheffield (auto-biography) - Another great one for music lovers, written by a writer for Rolling Stone about the death of his wife and how music helped him through. Here's my review!

The Chupacabra by Stephen Randell (Contemporary) - Recommended for both male and females who love laugh-out-loud adventures and colorful characters. In a weird way, this reminds me of Zach Galifianakis meets Breaking Bad, but mostly just because of the humor mixed with drug cartels. Here's my review!

Here Among Us by Maggie Harryman (Contemporary) - Recommended for those who love good stories about family.  Here's my review!

Six Verses That Can Change Your Life by Joe Barnett (Christian non-fiction) - Recommended for any and all Christians. Expounds upon six Bible verses that affect all areas of your life. Very inspirational, not at all condescending or self-righteous.  Here's my review!

If You Ask Me (And Of Course You Won't) by Betty White (auto-biography) - Recommended for anyone who loves Betty White and wants to hear her give advice. I especially loved the audio book!

Little Known Facts About Well Known Places: Disneyland by David Hoffman (non-fiction) - Recommended for any lover of Disneyland. There's also a Disney World edition. Here's my review!


Honestly, there are hundreds of thousands of books that would make gifts! These are a teeny tiny few! Can you recommend any books that would make great gifts-- not just because you loved them, but because they seem like a general good read for others?

1 comment:

  1. i think i have a really looooong list of reading to catch up with you

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my blog! If you leave a comment I will try my best to email you back directly and visit your blog, too! If I can't find a way to get back to you, check back for a reply to your comment. Thanks again and happy reading!!