March 15, 2013

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

A nearby clown blew up a balloon animal, a man bought a rose, a child licked an ice cream cone, and a genuine tradition was born, one I'd never forget: Amy always going overboard, me never, ever worthy of the effort. Happy anniversary, asshole.
-from Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

 
Gone Girl is an expertly crafted novel that explores the intricacies of knowing one's partner and examines the lengths one will go to in order to love and also protect oneself from them. On the day of his 5th wedding anniversary, Nick Dunne comes home to find his house in disarray and his wife, Amy, missing. With all evidence pointing to Nick and information about their troubled marriage coming to light, what happened to Amy? Is Nick innocent like he claims or is he responsible for Amy's disappearance? With chapters alternating between Nick's account of present day and Amy's diary of the past few years, it's difficult to figure out what you think happened to Amy.

It's incredibly hard to write about this book and all that I love about it without giving you spoilers; in fact, I'm surprised I was able to avoid all of the spoilers myself prior to reading. Of course, there's no way I would ruin such a great book for you, therefore my review can't do this book justice.

Part love story, part mystery, part thriller, Gone Girl will surely keep you on your toes. I admit that I didn't really get into the story until about the third time I picked the book up to read. If the first quarter of the book doesn't grab you, have faith and keep reading. I assure you that you will come to the point where you will not be able to put the book down because of all the twists and turns. I often compare great books to tapestries where stories, emotions and characters are expertly woven together. I hate to repeat the comparison, but Gone Girl is the most tightly woven and expertly crafted story I've read in a very long time. Just when you think you have figured everything out, Flynn will weave the story in another direction. Not only is Flynn's storyline intriguing, but the language she uses is vivid, bold, and beautiful. Everything about this book is solid.

While I loved the book overall and really appreciated the story, I didn't feel completely satisfied by the ending which is why I'm knocking off half a star in my rating. I won't spoil it, but if you've read the book I'd love to hear what you thought! Please try not to put any spoilers in your comments though. ;) I don't necessarily think this book will change your life or inspire you to change, but it's a great piece of thrilling entertainment. 

Bottom Line: If you like thrilling reads, entertaining reads, or just plain great stories, I highly recommend this book! And if you're like me and need to read bestsellers before they hit the big screen, read it now! Reese Witherspoon has picked up the rights to produce this as a movie and it's bound to be great! 4.5/5 Stars.



No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Thank you so much for reading my blog! If you leave a comment I will try my best to email you back directly and visit your blog, too! If I can't find a way to get back to you, check back for a reply to your comment. Thanks again and happy reading!!